Why Choose Bhumi?
There is so much that goes on behind the scenes in the textile industry that we do not know enough about. We do not see it enough. We do not hear about it enough. And as a result an unfortunate hidden cycle continues with most people simply unaware of the truth.
We firmly believe that with knowledge and awareness of what is actually going on in the textile industry and knowing the negative impacts on the Earth and Humanity, people will feel empowered in their choices to help create a positive change.
Knowing people's stories, seeing the impacts first hand across so many agricultural zones and realising how much cotton is in our lives and homes, we decided to do something about it - offer Certified Organic Bedding & Basics that is ethically and sustainably made from seed to shelf.
Bhumi only uses 100% organic certified cotton, as certified by the Global Organic Textiles Standard (GOTS) and the benefits are that:
- No genetically modified seeds are used
- No toxic dyes are used
- No hazardous synthetic pesticides are used protecting farmers' lives and the environment
- Crop rotation conserves soil
- Water is retained more effectively due to healthier organic material in the soil
- Climate change is combatted through organic cotton farming that uses less energy and healthy organic soils store more carbon
Bhumi is proud to be certified by Fairtrade Australia. Fairtrade:
- Ensures a respect for the social, economic and labour rights of farmers and workers along the entire supply chain
- Encourages sustainable farming practices, protects the environment and improves the quality of health and well being for farmers and workers
- Enables co-operatives to fund community projects with the fairtrade premium - the building of schools, health clinics, the building of wells for access to clean water, health clinics and education and training in business and agriculture
- Ensures a respect for the social and economic rights of the entire supply chain, including the farmers that are behind each product
Benefits of Fairtrade
All our products are made in India in Fairtrade certified mills and factories. The benefits of Fairtrade are:
- All fabric is dyed using Global Organic Textiles Standard (GOTS) approved dyes which are free of hazardous elements such as nickel, lead, formaldehyde, amines, pesticides and heavy metals protecting farmers and their families as well as consumers
- All employees receive a living wage, social security, pension funds, house rent, paid holiday leave, sick pay, medical insurance, subsidies, lunches and overtime
- All employees' children receive free schooling
- All employees receive free transport services to the factory where they are stationed
- All employees work in spacious, well ventilated, safe working environments