Sleeping is both an art and a science and sleep is nature’s most powerful healer. The right quality and duration of sleep ensures that your body systems undergo daily maintenance, which nurtures, repairs, heals and balances you physically, mentally and emotionally. Adequate sleep is as important to you as your diet, exercise and stress management.
Science has shown that sleep heals, repairs and detoxifies your body and helps build energy for the body and mind. Studies show that missing out on the restorative power of sleep can affect your mood, decrease your immune and brain function, and increase your risk of major illnesses like cardiovascular disease, diabetes, obesity and cancer.
Featured Product - Bhumi Sateen Sheets
Breaking it down simply these are the effects of sleep on your body.
Your BRAIN – studies show that sleep is necessary to rejuvenate the connections between brain cells essential for memory, cognitive functioning and attention span.
Your MUSCLES – the body produces growth hormone during sleep, which is a function necessary for building and maintaining healthy muscle tissue and muscle strength.
Your IMMUNE SYSTEM – not enough sleep reduces white blood cell activity, which increases the risk of you getting sick.
Your BLOOD SUGAR – not enough sleep can interfere with the body’s ability to metabolise glucose, leading to early signs of diabetes.
Your MOOD – studies have shown that lack of sleep increases the feeling of stress, anger, feeling sad, irritated and mentally exhausted.
Here are a few top tips to help you harness the healing power of your sleep.
- Reduce your caffeine consumption in the evening
- Start a bed time ritual like massaging organic cream on your arms, hands, feet and legs
- Turn off the lights and all electronics especially that phone! Light suppresses melatonin, which makes it harder to fall asleep so if you need some light, light a natural soya aromatherapy candle that will soothe your senses
- Aim to sleep in for 8 – 9 hours
- In those 8-9 hours think of what you are exposing your skin to – it is vital that you remove all toxins that can leech into your skin and bloodstream at this time – choose certified organic products that do NOT contain any harmful or toxic dyes, chemicals, pesticides or bleaches and let your skin breathe
Remember that the art of sleep lies in the sanctuary of the bedroom and it is in your hands to create the perfect toxic free environment for your body, your mind and your soul.
What are your secrets of good sleep? We would love to know - let us know your thoughts in the comments below.
Note: This article was originally posted on the Two Six Magazine http://twosixmag.com.au/the-healing-power-of-sleep/
About the Author: Vinita is the Founder of Bhumi Organic Cotton and passionate about Earth Life Balance.